You can watch CTV (connected TV) with the help of a premium VPN. It is Canada’s biggest private Network traditional TV but is geo-restricted and can not be accessed in Australia without a VPN. It streams some amazing TV shows like Cardinal, The View, and Ther Corner Gas. We have also given the easy steps to watch CTV in Australia in our guide.
Are you confused about which VPN is best for accessing connected TV? Don’t worry! We have also given a list of the best VPNs to watch Connected TV.
Watch the video tutorial below for additional help:
Why do you need a VPN to watch Connected CTV in Australia
You need a VPN to watch Connected TV because it is a geo-restricted service and cannot be accessed directly in Australia without a VPN. Make sure to get a VPN that has strong servers in Canada to access Connected TV in Australia.
If you try to access Connected TV in Australia then you will see the following error message:
We’re sorry, this content is only available for viewing in Canada.
A premium VPN masks your DNS and IP Address and changes your location so that your identity remains anonymous and you can safely surf the internet without being detected. You can also use a VPN for streaming video content.
You can also use a premium VPN if you need to watch Crave TV in Australia.
Best VPNs to Watch CTV in Australia
We tested many VPNs and have shortlisted the 3 Best VPNs to watch Connected TV. Our list of the best VPNs for CTV is as follows:
1. ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN to Watch CTV in Australia
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN to watch CTVas it not only unblocks CTV but has also proved to be the fastest in terms of speeding, and without a doubt, the CTV revolution is introducing digital advertising to a new audience so use ExpressVPN to get CTV.
It manages to offer a download speed of 88.78 Mbps and an upload speed of 54.22 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
It uses AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption with 256-bit keys, commonly known as AES-256. It’s the same encryption standard used by governments and security professionals throughout the world to secure secret information.
You can get their special 15 months plan, in which you get 12 months of access with 3 months free at just AU$ 9.84/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) - Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch CTV in Australia
Surfshark is an affordable VPN for accessing CTV. The affordable VPN offers its servers at a price as low as AU$ 3.39/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) - 82% Off on 2 Years Plan on its 2-year plan. The best thing about Surfshark is that it offers unlimited logins so that you may share your account with your friends and family.
It offers 3200+ servers from 65+ countries. It has 90 different servers in 3 different regions in Canada. Its high-speed servers let you have a seamless streaming experience.
The download speed offered by Surfshark was 86.55 Mbps and the upload speed was 49.42 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network VPN to Stream CTV in Australia
NordVPN has the largest server network to watch the content of CTV. It has 480+ servers in Canada and has more than 5400 servers in 59 countries. It offers six simultaneous logins so that you can share them with your family and friends.
The VPN offers its services at AU$ 5.15/mo (US$ 3.49/mo) - Save 60% on 2 Years Deal on its 2-year plan, which is quite affordable. NordVPN has secure servers and uses an AES-256-GCM encryption algorithm with a 4096-bit DH key to give you complete security.
This VPN offers a download speed of 86.24 Mbps and an upload speed of 53.72 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
What is Connected TV (CTV)?
A Connected TV (CTV) is a device that connects to or is embedded in, a television to allow for video content streaming. CTVs of various types include Xbox, PlayStation, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and others.
The rise of CTV and streaming platforms has resulted in the phenomenon known as “cord-cutting,” which refers to customers canceling their traditional cable and satellite subscriptions in the best interest of only using these streaming or VOD formats.
Consumers in Australia have embraced CTV and streaming platforms as the future of television, and they have high expectations for ad relevance in these new digital environments. Also YouTube is the most popular ad-supported content on connected TV followed by digital access to cable TV channels.
Many people prefer Connected TV over linear TV IAS Report Discovers by ExchangeWire PressBox on May 21, 2021, in News Integral Ad Science (IAS)
Comparison with Others:
- The advantages of connected TV and over-the-top (OTT) advertising
- Advertisers can get in front of the right audiences at the right times thanks to user-controlled viewing experiences.
- Data from user registration enables cross-screen targeting.
- IP-based delivery enables the use of first and third-party audience data to target households that watch ad supported programming.
Challenges of the connected TV and over-the-top (OTT) advertising:
- The number of homes with a CTV has not yet caught up to those with broadcast or cable television.
- Many platforms and data providers are unable to match cookies or mobile ad IDs (MAIDs) to IP addresses, limiting the inventory available for IP-based audience targeting.
- Account fragmentation is a result of under-the-radar account sharing.
- There is fierce competition among content distributors and companies that manufacture and sell CTV devices.
Advantages of Linear TV Ads
- The largest Australian CTV market.
- Linear TV can take advantage of new platforms that have added a layer of automation and data-driven decision-making to TV media purchases.
- Can use 1st and 3rd party data in addition to Nielsen buying demos to make better decisions about what linear TV ads inventory to buy for a campaign.
- 92% of consumers believe that CTV ad experience such as fewer repetitive ads, shorter ad breaks, and contextual relevance make it superior to linear TV ad experiences.
- Opportunity to make purchases for niche TV networks, which could lead to cost savings and expanded reach rather than just frequency and also reduce repetitive ad placements.
Can I use a free VPN to watch CTV in Australia?
No, free VPNs have weak servers that cannot bypass the strong geo-restrictions led by CTV. Free VPNs won’t offer you the quality that a premium VPN would offer. They are quite notorious in terms of safety, as they maintain logs and leak IPs.
Also, free VPNs are not suitable for the number of servers, as they have very limited servers that are flooded with numerous users worldwide. They are also slow and extremely unreliable.
However, if a free VPN bypasses the geo-restrictions, you will put your important information at risk with their usage as they are infamous for selling your information to third-party media buyers. So, in light of all the facts above, free VPNs are highly not recommended to access CTV.
How to Watch CTV in Australia with SmartDNS
Apart from VPN, you can use a Smart DNS to access CTV devices. A SmartDNS server hides the DNS address that is assigned by your Internet Service Provider and gives you access to the geo-restricted content in the region.
You can use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer as a SmartDNS to unblock CTV devices in Australia by following the steps below:
- Visit ExpressVPN‘s official website.
- Subscribe to your desired package.
- Click My Account.
- Note down the DNS address in the MediaStreamer box.
- Go to your PC’s Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet.
- Click Network and Sharing and select Change Adapter Settings.
- Select your Connected Network Adapter and click on Properties.
- Uncheck IPV4 and then click Properties.
- Find the General tab, and type in your SmartDNS address in the columns given.
- Click Ok and enjoy accessing geo-restricted content on the website or on CTV app.
CTV Device Compatibility
CTV is accessible on almost all devices and platforms including CTV FireStick and on the following popular devices, along with them you will see CTV advertising:
- Android Devices
- iOS Devices
- Fire Stick
- Smart TVs
- Apple TV
- Smart TV
What can I watch on CTV in Australia
The following most popular shows are available on CTV:
- MasterChef Canada
- The View
- Twice in a Lifetime
- Corner Gas
- Call Me Kat
- The Amazing Race
- DNA Dinners
- Go-Big Show
Can you watch CTV in Australia ?
CTV is a geo-restricted service, it cannot be viewed directly in Australia. watch content of CTV using a reliable VPN.
Can I subscribe to watch CTV live in Australia?
How to watch CTV in Australia if I don't have a subscription?
You can watch selective shows on CTV without a subscription. However, some shows require you to log in to CTV, which needs a cable subscription.
How can I watch CTV without cable?
You can watch certain streaming content CTV without cable. However; some shows require you to have a cable subscription for their access. Always connect to a premium VPN when you are watching CTV.
How can I stream CTV news for free?
CTV news app is a free-to-watch service for all users. Although, some shows require a subscription. Remember to connect to a premium VPN if you are using CTV in Australia.
CTV is Canada’s biggest private Network but is only available for Canadian users. It provides amazing content like Cardinal, Transplant and The View, etc. You can access CTV in Australia by following the easy steps we have provided. Make sure to get a premium VPN like ExpressVPN with strong servers in Canada to unblock CTV.