Using Apple TV with a VPN can unblock any region’s Apple TV+ library for you, so you may enjoy downloading all of your favorite songs, albums, movies, podcasts, and TV shows. Apple TV+ library varies from region to region, and some of the content titles available in one country won’t be available in the other.
We have made a list of the 3 best VPNs for Apple TV, along with their features and pricing, and we have also given the easy steps to set up a VPN on an Apple TV in our guide. Keep reading this guide to know more about using a VPN on an Apple TV.
How to choose the best Apple TV VPN?
While choosing the best VPN for your Apple TV, you will have to make sure that the VPN has high-speed servers so that you may enjoy seamless buffer-free streaming. You must also ensure that your VPN is strong enough to bypass geo-restrictions of all major streaming platforms like Hulu, Disney Plus, and Netflix and has AES-256 encryption to ensure optimal security. An ideal VPN should have a no-logs policy and servers in every region so that you may access any region’s content library on a chosen platform.
3 Best VPNs for Apple TV
We have shortlisted the following three best VPNs for Apple TV based on their speed, performance, number of servers, security, and reliability:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN for Apple TV
ExpressVPN is our #1 choice as it is the Best VPN to use on Apple TV. It has an extensive network of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, protected with military-grade encryption and top-of-the-line safety features.
ExpressVPN is a VPN industry giant, known for its fantastic service and security for a decade. It has never faced any allegations of keeping logs or leaking DNS or IP addresses. It can unblock any service in a blink, and you can connect to any of its servers with a single click.
Following are some key features of ExpressVPN that make it one of the best VPN providers in the market:
- AES 256-bit encryption on all of its servers
- 3000+ secure servers in 94 countries
- Apps for all popular devices and major OS
- Unblocks OTT services like Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, etc., instantly.
- Strict zero-logs policy
- 5 simultaneous connections allowed
- Kill switch feature
- 24/7 chat support
You can now get a 49% discount on their regular monthly price by getting their special deal at $6.67 per month for 15 months. It serves the best value against the money with its seamless and uninterrupted streaming services.
2. Surfshark – Affordable VPN for Apple TV
Surfshark is a budget-friendly option to use a VPN on Apple TV. People use Surfshark for Netflix and other streaming platforms as it easily bypasses the geo-blocking restrictions.
Here is an overview of the features that make Surfshark an excellent Apple TV VPN provider:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- 3200+ servers in 65 countries
- Supports all major operating systems and devices
- Strict no-logs policy
- Supports P2P torrenting
- Kill switch feature
- No limit on multi-logins
- 24/7 chat support
You can buy Surfshark at just $2.49/mo for its 2-year package. Also, it offers unlimited multi-logins, and thus you can share your account with whomever you want.
3. NordVPN – Fast VPN for Apple TV
NordVPN is another popular VPN option for Apple TV as it provides fast servers and can bypass geo-blocking of various streaming platforms. It offers a no-logs policy and lets you access more than 5000 servers in 60+ countries.
It has impeccable security protocols and tons of amazing features. NordVPN is considered a favorable option among the VPNs to access Netflix as well as other streaming platforms.
Following are some of the features that make NordVPN a popular choice among Apple TV users:
- Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption
- 5000+ servers in 60+ countries
- Apps for all major operating systems, platforms, and devices
- Strict no-logs policy
- Torrenting friendly
- Kill switch feature integrated
- 6 simultaneous connections allowed
- 24/7 chat support
NordVPN charges $3.71/mo for its 2-year package and provides high-end features.
Why do you need a VPN for Apple TV
You need a VPN for Apple TV if you want to access any other region’s library. There are multiple movies, TV shows, music videos, and podcasts that are only available in certain regions and can be accessed by the people living in those regions. If you wish to access a region-specific library, you will need a reliable VPN to access your favorite content titles from any region.
A VPN helps you in spoofing your location and gives you a masked identity. If you use a reliable and robust VPN, then the host servers won’t detect your actual location, and you can fake your region easily. You can easily watch Disney Plus on Apple TV with the help of a VPN.
How to set up a VPN on Apple TV
You cannot install a VPN application directly on Apple TV because it does not support it. Therefore, the best way to use a VPN on your Apple TV is by installing a VPN on the router and using it on your TV. Follow the steps below to install a VPN on a router:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install its application on your device.
- Log in with your credentials and click Set Up on More Devices.
- From the list of devices, select Router and then select the router model you are using.
- Download the firmware for your router.
- Now connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable.
- Unplug the internet wire from your router to disconnect your router from the internet.
- Now access your router’s setting by entering the gateway in the address bar.
- Go to the local access section.
- Sign-in to your admin panel.
- Now, go to Router Settings and select Connectivity.
- Select Choose File and open the firmware of your VPN that you downloaded.
- Now, click Start and wait for the restart message to prompt on your screen.
- Restart your router by clicking Yes.
- Simply enter admin as both the username and password.
- Now plug your internet cable back into the router.
- Sign in to your VPN account, and then your internet connection will be secured, and all the devices that connect to it will be having VPN access by default.
How to set up Smart DNS on Apple TV
You can also use SmartDNS on your Apple TV to access any region’s library. Follow the easy steps below:
- Visit ExpressVPN’s DNS settings page.
- Select Register my IP address and enable the toggle bar.
- Get your MediaStreamer DNS IP address from ExpressVPN’s setup page.
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Go to Network and select your connected network.
- Select Configure DNS and then select Manual.
- Now, enter your MediaStreamer DNS address and select done.
- Restart your Apple TV and enjoy accessing any region’s library.
How to set up Smart DNS on older versions of Apple TV
Older versions of Apple TV do not support a VPN and setting up a Smart DNS proxy on 3rd generation, or older versions are quite different than the newer ones. Follow the steps below to set up a smart DNS proxy on your old Apple TV:
- Turn on your Apple TV and go to settings.
- Select General and then Network.
- Choose your current network interface from Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Select Configure DNS and then Manual.
- Enter your ExpressVPN MediaStreamer’s DNS address and then select Done.
- Restart your Apple TV and then access any region’s library.
What is the best VPN for Apple TV?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Apple TV because of its unmatched security and reliability. It is available in 94 countries and has more than 3000 servers. Moreover, it does not affect your internet speed as well. All of these factors combined make ExpressVPN the best VPN for Apple TV.
Can you use a VPN with Apple TV?
No, Apple TV does not directly support a VPN. However, you can install the VPN on the router that your TV is connected to and enjoy the benefits of VPN. We have shared the simple steps to do this in our guide.
How do I activate VPN on Apple TV?
You can activate VPN on your Apple TV by following the easy steps we have provided in our guide and enjoy the perks of VPN by downloading any region’s content.
Why are there no VPN apps for Apple TV?
There are no VPN apps for Apple TV as it does not allow their installation. However, you can have all the benefits of a VPN by using a Smart DNS proxy. We have listed the easy steps in our guide that you may go through and enjoy accessing different region’s content.
Although there are tens of VPNs available in the market, we have shortlisted the top three best VPNs that can help you access the libraries of different regions on your Apple TV. After testing all the features, we have concluded that ExpressVPN is the #1 VPN for Apple TV.