Big fan of British content and thinking can you watch Sky Go abroad? Well, since Sky Go is a geo-restricted streaming service, you cannot access it anywhere in Germany, unless you use a VPN like ExpressVPN. Use our guide and learn how to access Sky Go in Germany now!
Sky Go is a UK-based online TV service, offering free live and on-demand content to all Sky TV users. The streaming platform has a huge content library, including movies, shows, and sports, such as Marlowe, This England, The Walk-in, True Detective, and The Sopranos.
But, unfortunately, Sky Go or Sky One is not available abroad. So, if you really wish to watch it anywhere, a VPN is necessary. We have listed the easy steps for accessing Sky Go abroad in our guide. So, without further ado, let’s get right into the guide!
How to Watch Sky Go Abroad with a VPN [Quick Solution]
Follow these quick steps on how to watch Sky Go abroad with a VPN:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device or configure it on your router.
- Launch the VPN app, select a UK server, and connect. ExpressVPN’s Docklands server is recommended.
- Visit the Sky Go website or its app and sign in with your Sky TV account.
- Clear your cache/cookies, and refresh the page to stream the video you want. Enjoy!
Note: If you don’t know the subscription cost and how to pay for Sky Go abroad, then click here and learn all about it.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Sky Go Abroad?
You need a VPN to watch Sky Go abroad because it is a geo-restricted platform. This means that you cannot stream your favorite shows on Sky Go without the help of a virtual private network due to its geo-blocks.
When you try to access the Sky Go streaming platform abroad, you will receive an error:
That’s because Sky Go is only accessible in the UK. So, if you’ve been thinking: Can I watch Sky Go abroad with a VPN, then yes, you can!
You can easily watch Sky Go online with a VPN. VPNs mask your IP address to hide your identity and encrypt all the internet traffic by connecting your device to your desired server.
This way, you can access all the geo-blocked content and streaming platforms with their help. Our guide has shared all the steps on how to watch Sky Go abroad.
Our top recommended VPN, ExpressVPN, can also let you unblock ZEE5 or Voot in UK. Thus, the VPN list in our next section could come in handy to access these platforms.
How to Sign up for Sky Go from Abroad in Germany
To sign up for Sky Go from abroad, here are the easy steps:
- Sign up for a VPN service that offers high-speed servers. ExpressVPN is recommended.
- Install the VPN app on your device and connect to the UK – Docklands server.
- Navigate to the Sky Go website and select Register here.
- Add all the required information and create the account.
- Select your preferred Sky Go payment plan.
- Enjoy your Sky Go subscription!
How Much Does Sky Go Subscription Cost in Germany?
Sky Go is free for all Sky TV subscribers. It offers a mix of on-demand and live content that can be streamed on 1 device at a time, even though it’s possible to have 3 devices registered simultaneously. We recommend you choose its 12-month plan and save 15% at £79.90/yr (USD 97.66/yr).
Other than that, we have compiled a detailed guide about Sky Go price, you can check it out. For now, here’s a quick table with packages for you to choose from:
|Deals||Includes||Price in Pounds|
|Sky Stream, Sky TV & Netflix||Sky TV channels & Netflix||£24/mo|
|Sky Stream, Sky TV, Netflix, and Superfast Broadband||Sky TV channels & Netflix||£41/mo|
|Sky Glass, Sky TV & Netflix||Sky Glass 4K TV, Sky TV channels, & Netflix||£37/mo|
|Superfast Broadband||Sky TV channels||£23/mo|
|iPhone 14||Sky TV channels||£37/mo|
|Sky Stream, Sky TV, Netflix, and Sky Cinema||Sky Cinema, Sky TV channels, & Netflix||£35/mo|
If needed, you can cancel your Sky Go subscription anytime.
Best VPNs to Watch Sky Go Abroad
Team StreamingRant tested 50+ VPNs for unblocking Sky Go abroad. So, we got the 3 best VPNs. Below is the list:
1. ExpressVPN – Recommended and Fastest VPN (89.42 Mbps) to watch Sky Go Abroad
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN for watching Sky Go or any Sky streaming service abroad because of its blazing-fast speeds and extraordinary unblocking power.
For all sports enthusiasts, if you want to watch Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics Live Stream from anywhere in the world, you can watch it by using this VPN. We recommend connecting to the London server on ExpressVPN.In the speed tests we conducted, it managed to offer a download speed of 89.42 Mbps. The upload speed was 84.64 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
ExpressVPN has a larger network of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries. It has around high-speed servers in four UK locations (Docklands, Wembley, and London).
It provides 256-bit data encryption for secure streaming and preventing IP and DNS leaks. The other robust security features of ExpressVPN include a kill switch and split tunneling.
It allows 5 simultaneous logins so you can share them with your friends and family. The app can be used on Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android devices. For gaming consoles and other devices that do not support a VPN, ExpressVPN offers Smart MediaStreamer.
It offers its limited-time deal, which gives you a 49% discount on the regular monthly price. You can get their exclusive 12+3 months free plan at EUR 6.22 /mo (US$ 6.67 /mo ) - Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan to stream Sky Go Abroad.
If you need any technical assistance, you can contact 24/7 customer support. Without any doubt, it is the best VPN for Sky Go.
You can watch Italian Rai TV, CBC Chanel, and three now in UK with the help of ExpressVPN.
- High-speed servers for streaming Sky Go
- 24/7 live customer support
- Dedicated apps for different streaming devices
- Smart MediaStreamer
- Military level security
- Expensive price plans
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch Sky Go Abroad
It is an affordable VPN in the industry to watch Sky Go. Surfshark charges EUR 2.15 /mo (US$ 2.30 /mo ) - 82% Off on 2 Years Plan on its 2-year package. It has simultaneous support on unlimited devices.
It has highly optimized servers, which are best for streaming, and this VPN is ideal for those on a budget. You can easily connect to the London server for watching Sky Go in Abroad.
It has 3200+ servers in 65+ countries, including servers in four UK locations (Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, and Manchester). You can use a budget-friendly VPN like Surfshark to also unblock BBC iPlayer or Sky Sports Abroad.
The download speed of a VPN was 88.14 Mbps. The upload speed was 83.72 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection when connected to UK server.
We also enjoyed watching Ten Play channel and 9Now in UK with the help of Surfshark.
The data protection and safety features of Surfshark are excellent, including 256-bit encryption. It maintains a no data logs policy and ensures no DNS or IP leaks. It also has fast connection speeds.
You can use Surfshark on Linux, Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. For Android and iOS devices, it offers a 7-day free trial. Subscribe to the VPN service and follow our quick guide on watching Sky Go in Spain, USA, Canada, or any other region.
- Pocket-friendly VPN
- Unlimited bandwidth for seamless streaming on Sky Go
- 30-day reclaim policy (money-back)
- Unlimited devices connection
- 24/7 live chat support
- Slow server connection
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network (5500+ Servers) to Stream Sky Go Abroad
NordVPN is another popular VPN for watching Sky Go Abroad. It has a network of 5543+ servers in 94+ countries, out of which 440+ servers are located in the UK. To watch Sky Go, we recommend connecting to London server.It offers a fast download speed of 86.38 Mbps and an upload speed of 80.42 Mbps when tested on a 100 Mbps connection.
It has AES 256-bit encryption with a strict no-logs policy which ensures that none of your data is stored. Moreover, it provides a surety of no IP and DNS leaks.
NordVPN offers its services at EUR 3.26 /mo (US$ 3.49 /mo ) - Save 60% on 2 Years Deal on its 2-year package. It allows up to 6 simultaneous connections along with features like a Kill switch, a friendly user interface, and a dedicated streaming mode. You can use NordVPN on Linux, Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS.
The customer support of NordVPN is superb. In case of any assistance, you can contact them without any hesitation. In addition, to watch Sky TV online, you can also watch SonyLiv, channel5, or Kayo Sports in UK with NordVPN.
- Largest server network
- Super fast and secured VPN to watch Sky Go
- Simultaneous connections on 6 devices
- Unblocks all major streaming platforms
- Technical glitches on the VPN app (only sometimes)
Sky Go VPN Testing Methodology
Our experts test multiple VPNs from time to time to ensure that they effectively work with Sky Go. This is why we only recommend using VPNs that have a proven record of unblocking the streaming channel from abroad.
We test each VPN client both on web browsers (Windows and Mac) and on Android and iOS phones on the following factors:
- Speed: By conducting frequent download speed testing in different places worldwide, we can provide the most recent speed statistics. After this, we can identify which is the fastest Sky Go VPN that streams content without lags.
- Security: Encryption and leak prevention are significant priorities for every premium VPN service. However, premium VPNs like ExpressVPN offer additional features like Threat Protection, Multi-Hop, and more to keep users safe.
- Streaming performance: Excellent download speeds and unblocking capabilities are essential for ensuring that a good VPN can easily unblock a broad range of streaming services, including Sky Go.
- Ability to circumvent censorship: If you wish to use Sky Go in regions with limited internet access, you should know if your VPN can do so. For example, despite high censorship, the VPNs in this guide even work in China.
- Customer care: If you have any issues with a VPN service that you have paid for, help will be provided with one click only. All the VPNs in our guide offer live chat and email support 24/7 to users.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch Sky Go Abroad?
Yes, a free VPN can be used to watch Sky TV abroad. However, owing to the limited features that free VPNs offer, you will face difficulty accessing them in the UK. Therefore, we do not recommend using a free VPN for Sky Go.
Free VPNs have several drawbacks. Free VPNs often lack the server infrastructure that’s required to bypass Sky Go’s blocks. Most VPNs do not even offer UK servers, while the ones that do are subjected to slow speeds and data caps. This means that free providers are truly unreliable.
Additionally, a free VPN will expose your device’s data to third parties for money. Because these VPNs do not use any tunneling methods, the online information will be compromised.
A free VPN might flood your screen with irritating advertisements, which may be pretty unpleasant. So, to summarise, instead of thinking: ‘Why can’t I unblock Sky Go for free,’ you should purchase a premium VPN like ExpressVPN.
How to Watch Sky Go Abroad Using a Smart DNS Proxy?
An alternate way to circumvent Sky Go’s geo-blocks is using a Smart DNS proxy. Although it operates somewhat differently, a DNS proxy achieves the same objective as a VPN.
The only difference is that, instead of encrypting and directing all device communication through a remote server, just DNS queries are routed.
Moreover, please note that most Smart DNS services have now been blocked, which doesn’t make them a suitable choice for streaming Sky Go. However, a few VPNs do offer Smart DNS services for their subscribers.
Setting up DNS servers is a little more complex than setting up a VPN. But you typically don’t need to download any other software. DNS settings can be changed using the built-in settings on your device.
- Register for a VPN that offers a Smart DNS proxy service (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- On the provider’s website, verify your app’s current IP address.
- In the settings tab of your machine, enter both the primary and alternate DNS addresses.
- Save your modifications and reboot your device.
- Navigate to the Sky Go website. You can also use the Sky Go app. Tune in to Sky TV abroad and have fun!
Why Can’t I Use Sky Go Abroad?
You can’t use Sky Go abroad due to geo-restrictions. From January 1st, 2021, Sky has banned using Sky Kids, Sky Go, Sky Sports Box Office, and Sky Sports applications Abroad.
On some Sky apps, you can download the content you want to watch when offline and out of your home. However, to use Sky Go abroad, you can use a VPN. The best VPN for watching Sky Go abroad is ExpressVPN.
How to Fix Sky Go Error Message Abroad
With the help of a Sky Go VPN like ExpressVPN, you can easily fix the Sky Go error message.
Not using a VPN or using an unreliable VPN for Sky TV streaming will lead to the following error messages on Sky Go:
- “Failed to set location settings.”
- “Sky Go is only available to users connecting from within the UK or Republic of Ireland. You appear to be outside of these territories.”
- “This show is currently unavailable. Please try again later.”
- “Unfortunately, rights restrictions mean that this programme is not currently available to watch on your device.”
- “Unknown error: please restart the app.”
- “Video unavailable.”
Which Devices are Compatible with Sky Go?
You can watch Sky TV abroad on the following list of devices:
|Mac||Big Sur, Sierra, High Sierra, Ventura, El Capitan, Catalina, Mojave, Monterey|
|Windows||7 and above|
|Google (phone + tablet)||Android 5.1 and above|
|Huawei (phone + tablet)||Android 5.1 and above|
|Amazon (phone + tablet)||Android 5.1 and above|
|Apple (phone + tablet)||iOS 12 and above|
|Apple TV (4th gen) Apple TV 4K (1st + 2nd gen)||iOS 12 and above|
|PlayStation||3 & 4|
How to watch Sky Go on Android devices abroad?
You can watch Sky Go on Android 4.0.4 and the later versions by following the easy steps below:
- Use a reliable VPN like ExpessVPN and connect to its UK, Dockland server.
- Create a new Google ID with UK location.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Download the Sky Go Application from the Play Store.
- Open the Sky app, and sign in with your Sky ID. Enjoy!
How to watch Sky Go on iOS Abroad?
iPhone users with iOS 8.1 or above can also access Sky Go by following the steps below:
- Connect to the London server using ExpressVPN.
- Change the location of your Apple ID to UK.
- Go to the Appstore.
- Download and install the Sky Go app.
- Open the Sky Go app and log in with your Login credentials.
- Select the TV channel that you want to watch.
How to Watch Sky Go using Kodi?
Follow the steps below:
- Sign in to a VPN service and connect to a server in the UK (our recommendation is the London server on ExpressVPN).
- Click Kodi, navigate to the Main Menu, then select File Manager.
- Next, choose, “Add Source” then NONE.
- Check the box that says, “Enter name for the media source.”
- Go to Sky Account and press the OK button.
- Sky Go is now available on Kodi, with no limitations.
How to Watch Sky Go on PS4?
Here are the quick steps to watch Sky Go on PS4:
- On your PS4, log in to PSN (Play Station Network).
- Choose TV and Video on the home screen.
- Using the controller go to All Apps on the top left corner.
- Choose the app ‘TV from Sky’. (You will see a Sky logo)
- Press X on the controller to download the app.
- You will receive a notification on your home screen when the Sky Go app is installed.
How to Watch Sky Go on Apple TV?
As Sky Go is unavailable on AppleTV, you can use the screen mirroring feature on your Android/iOS phone or tablet to watch Sky Go on Apple TV. Here are the quick steps to watching Sky Go on TV:
- Switch on the Apple TV.
- Connect your Apple TV to the same WiFi connection to which your iOS or Android device is connected.
- Install the Sky Go app on your Android or iOS device.
- Sign in and play any video on it.
- Tap on the cast or AirPlay icon appearing at the top corner.
- From the list of devices, choose your Apple TV device.
- Enjoy streaming the Sky Go content on your Apple TV.
How to Watch Sky Go on Firestick?
Here are the simple steps on how to watch Sky Go on Firestick:
- Turn on your Firestick device, and on the home screen, navigate to the search menu.
- Choose unknown sources and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Connect to the UK – Docklands server.
- In the search option, enter Sky Go.
- Choose to install the Sky Go app for firestick.
- Once the app is installed, log in. Enjoy!
What Channels Can You Watch with Sky Go?
Wondering what channels are on Sky Go? Sky Go is home to numerous popular channels offering a huge variety of content. Following are some of the most popular Sky TV Channels:
|All Sky Cinema channels||Channel 5|
|All Sky Sports channels||RTÉ One/ RTÉ 2|
|BT Sport 1/ BT Sport 2/ BT Sport 3||3e|
|BT Sport ESPN||UTV Ireland|
|Premier Sports 1/ Premier Sports 2 star||Comedy Central|
|5 USA||ITV 4|
|Sky Nature||Star Plus|
Best Shows on Sky Go Abroad in 2023
Even though there is a variety of shows available on Sky Go, we have compiled a list of the best shows on Sky Go as follows:
- Funny Woman
- The Flash
- Dublin Narcos
- A Town Called Malice
- House of the Dragon
- The Sopranos
- Game of Thrones
Best Movies on Sky Go Abroad in 2023
Here’s the list of the best films on Sky Go to watch this weekend:
- The Northman
- Operation Mincemeat
- Pulp Fiction
- Lord of the Rings
- After Yang
- Sing 2
- Jurassic Park
- The Bad Guys
Can I watch Sky Go abroad?
Is Sky Go region-locked?
Where is Sky Go available?
Is Sky Go not working with your VPN abroad?
1. Ensure that your VPN is not banned by Sky Go.
2. Check that your time and date are set to the United Kingdom.
3. Install the Sky Go application again.
4. Change servers to a different UK location.
That’s what you do if you find Sky Go blocking VPN.
Can you get a virus while using a VPN to access Sky Go abroad?
Is it illegal to Watch Sky Go with a VPN?
How many users can watch Sky Go simultaneously?
How much does a Sky Go cost abroad?
Can I watch Sky abroad on my iPad abroad?
Can I watch Sky Go in Germany?
A few Sky apps will let you download your favorite movies and shows using Wi-Fi before you watch them offline while abroad.
But, if you’re moving abroad permanently, then you’ll require using ExpressVPN to watch everything on Sky Go.
How can I watch Sky Go in Germany for free?
Can I watch Sky without a subscription?
How do VPNs unblock Sky Go?
A VPN further encrypts the internet traffic of your device and routes it through an intermediary server that you choose.
Sky Go is an amazing streaming service. It consists of some amazing shows such as Venom, Chernobyl, and Good Fellas. You will enjoy all the movies, documentaries, and entertainment shows on Sky Go.
The geo-restrictions on Sky Go make it a little discouraging for online streamers to watch Sky TV abroad, but luckily, you can use a VPN like ExpressVPN to watch Sky Go abroad.
We hope your query does Sky Go work abroad is answered now. Follow the quick steps mentioned, and you are all set to go.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask us in the comments section. Happy streaming!