Don’t know how to get BBC iPlayer outside UK? No need to worry about it anymore. You can now download and watch the streaming service despite it being exclusive to the UK only. This detailed blog will help you understand how to access it step by step to watch your favorite shows.
Similar to Channel 4, this service is one of the biggest British OTT services. Whenever you try to stream BBC iPlayer, you will see the following error:
You can’t access it outside UK unless you use a reliable VPN.
If you don’t know how to sign up for BBC iPlayer so you can see the Steps to Sign Up for BBC iPlayer mentioned below.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK with a VPN [With a Video Tutorial]
You can watch this video to learn more about the unblocking process:
Why Do You Need a VPN to Access BBC iPlayer outside UK?
You will see the following error message if you try to access it where it is not available:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. “
It is only accessible in the UK, thus you will need a VPN server to watch BBC iPlayer while watching outside UK. Virtual private network mask your IP address and encrypt all the internet traffic by connecting your device to a server in England. It will change your IP address to UK IP address.
You can also use a premium VPN if you need to watch BFI Player outside UK.
Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
Below, we have listed three VPNs that are best for watching BBC iPlayer:
ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN to watch BBC iPlayer as it not only unblock BBC iPlayer but also proved to be the fastest in terms of speed.
In the speed tests we conducted, it managed to offer a download speed of 92.64 Mbps and upload speed of 55.35 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
It is clearly a giant in the industry, rightfully popular because of its amazing speed and security features, and it has a network of 3000+ servers in 94 countries and also it has 4 Servers in UK. Its fast service gives no noticeable buffering. It has high-speed servers in UK that unblock BBC iPlayer instantly. It can unblock any site, even with its browser extension.
ExpressVPN’s 1-year plan is available for $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan), and you can try this service with a 30-day back money guarantee.
It offers 5 simultaneous logins so you can share them with your friends and family. All of its servers have AES 256-bit military-grade encryption, and it follows a strict no-logs policy.
Surfshark – Budget-Friendly VPN to Unblock BBC iPlayer outside UK
This is a budget-friendly service and ideal for those who are new to the world of VPNs. You can get Surfshark’s 2-year plan for $2.49/mo (81% Off on 2 Years Plan) as it is the lowest price available in the industry. With Surfshark, you will be able to share your account with as many people as you want because of its unlimited multi-logins feature.
It enables all security features by default and has a powerful unblocking ability. Its London and Glasgow servers are the most optimal servers for unblocking BBC iPlayer. Overall, it has 3 servers in UK and 3200+ servers all over the world.
It manages to offer a super-fast downloading speed of 78.61 Mbps and an upload speed of 38.34 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
NordVPN – Largest Server Network to Unblock and Stream BBC iPlayer
NordVPN is the VPN with the largest servers. With NordVPN, the user can bypass the geo-blocking measures and live stream BBC iPlayer. It has more than 5400 servers in 59 countries, and also it has 440+ servers in 1 UK location. All of them are protected by AES 256 bit encryption and have no issues with IP or DNS leaks.
You can avail of its 2-year package for $3.71/mo (Save 68% on 2 Years Deal) and enjoy unlimited bandwidth. You can also share your account with your family and friends because it allows up to 6 simultaneous connections.
It manages to offer a super-fast downloading speed of 86.59 Mbps and an upload speed of 42.47 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Can I Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK with a Free VPN?
No, you cannot use a free VPN for Netflix or BBC iPlayer since they are not strong enough to bypass geo-restrictions. Even if they were, I would advise you not to use them. This is because free VPNs pose a risk to your security, due to which you will always remain scared of your DNS and IP address getting leaked.
To make it worse, free VPN providers maintain user records and track user behavior. Why would anyone use a VPN providers company that does not respect the user’s privacy?
How to Sign Up for BBC iPlayer
Signing up for BBC iPlayer isn’t much of a hassle, and you can do it within a few minutes.
- You will have to enter generic details for registering, like your date of birth, your postal code, and our email address. You can use any postal code, which does not necessarily mean that you have to prove your location, which is nothing to worry about.
- You also do not have to worry about the TV license. You might see a warning or notice that you need a TV license for watching anything on BBC iPlayer. However, the platform will not block your access or stop you from streaming for not having the license. Therefore, you do not have to worry about it at all.
Devices to Watch BBC iPlayer outside UK
Not just one or two, but there is a long list of compatible devices to including BBC iPlayer Apple TV, and much more.
- PS3 & PS4
- Windows via browser
- Android via official iPlayer app
- Apple TV
- Xbox 360 & Xbox One
- iOS (iPhone and iPad) via official iPlayer app
- Android Smart TV (specified support)
How to Download BBC iPlayer App outside UK?
Follow the steps:
- You’ll need a VPN subscription.
- Install your preferred VPN server on your device.
- Sign in.
- Select a server in the United Kingdom.
- Go to BBC iPlayer and sign in.
Watch BBC iPlayer on Windows and Mac
If you want to watch BBC iPlayer on a Windows 10 or Mac device, you don’t need to download anything since you can use your browser. Here’s how to access it on Windows 10 and Mac:
- Install a VPN on your PC (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Run the VPN software and select a UK server.
- Visit bbc.co.uk.
- To log in, enter your login details.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Android
- Install a VPN on your device. (our recommendation is ExpressVPN)
- Change the Ip address to one from the United Kingdom.
- Your Android device must be connected to your Wi-Fi network.
- Navigate to the Google Play application.
- Install the BBC iPlayer app on your device.
- Launch the BBC iPlayer app and enter your login information.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on iOs?
Yes, you can watch BBC iPlayer on iOs; want to watch it? Follow the steps then:
- Download a VPN on your device. Such as ExpressVPN.
- Select a UK server.
- Connect your iOs device to a router or mobile hotspot.
- Click AppStore.
- Download the BBC iPlayer on your computer.
How to Stream BBC iPlayer on Roku
- Reboot your Roku player.
- Configure a VPN on the network (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Roku should be connected to your screen and log in with your UK account.
- Navigate to the Roku Channel Store, discover the BBC iPlayer player application, and download it.
- When the installation is finished, launch it and login in with your BBC iPlayer information.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Fire Stick
- Switch on your Firestick and go to the Applications from Unknown Sources section. Check that it is turned on.
- You must install the Downloader app if you do not have it.
- Next, install a VPN; our recommendation is ExpressVPN.
- Start your VPN and connect to a UK server.
- If you enabled the Apps, then restart the Amazon Firestick.
- Look for BBC iPlayer, install it.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Chromecast
- Install and set up a VPN (our recommended VPN is ExpressVPN).
- Select a server in the United Kingdom.
- Launch the BBC iPlayer app on your device.
- Locate a title, open it, and watch for the cast symbol to appear.
- After you click the cast symbol, you can start watching it.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV outside UK?
- Make sure your Apple TV and iOS device are both connected to the same internet network.
- To access the control center, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Select the ‘AirPlay’ option.
- Choose the device to which you wish to connect (Apple TV)
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Smart TV
- Set the region of your smart TV to the United Kingdom. Whenever you need help, go to the official website of the brand of your television.
- Install and set up a VPN (We recommend ExpressVPN)
- Connect your smart TV to the network where the VPN was installed.
- Please search for the BBC iPlayer app & add it to your channel list.
- Reopen the BBC TV app and login to watch your favorites.
Why can’t I access BBC iPlayer outside UK?
Sometimes you are using a VPN and still can’t access BBC iPlayer, it’s possible that you need a more vital VPN service for streaming, such as ExpressVPN.
The following are some of the most frequent difficulties you may experience while attempting to view BBC iPlayer:
- The BBC iPlayer has banned the servers that your VPN uses.
- Your device’s GPS position and IP address are not the same.
- The BBC iPlayer’s geo-blocking methods have been updated, and your VPN is no longer functional.
- Your actual IP address is being exposed.
- You have BBC iPlayer cookies on your browser, informing the BBC that you are not in the United Kingdom.
- The VPN you’re using is unable to unblock BBC iPlayer.
BBC Channels and Shows to Watch
List of all iPlayer Channels:
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Alba
- BBA Four
- BBC News
- BBC One (Live stream)
- BBC Parliament
- BBC Two
- BBC Three
List of Top BBC Shows to Watch on iPlayer
- His Dark Materials
- Peaky Blinder
- Doctor Who
- Killing Eve
- Dublin Murders
- I May Destroy You
How to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK?
Is it illegal to watch BBC iPlayer outside UK?
Why does iPlayer only work in UK?
Can you watch BBC programs when you are offline?
How can I watch BBC iPlayer abroad for free?
I hope reading this blog was useful, and it helped you understand how to download and watch BBC iPlayer outside UK. Using one of the VPNs mentioned in the list above, such as our recommended ExpressVPN, you will be able to access BBC iPlayer and enjoy binge-watching your favorite programs.
If you have any questions or need clarity, feel free to drop in your queries in our comment section, and we will get back to you as soon as we can!