exHulu is a subscription-based video-on-demand service operated by The Walt Disney Company and the service is currently only available in the USA. Hulu’s content in every other region is geo-restricted, and thus only people from the USA can access Hulu.
Nevertheless, with a Hulu VPN, you can mask your IP address and fake your geographic location to access Hulu from anywhere.
I have handpicked the 5 best Hulu VPNs alongside the guide of how to watch Hulu from anywhere with a VPN. First, in our blog comes the overview of the top 5 Hulu VPNs.
How Hulu Blocks Viewers in Australia
Hulu is a service that only offers content to users from the USA and Japan. The concept of geo-restrictions is one of the significant factors in this limited content offering. Firstly, Hulu reads the geographic location of a user to restrict him from accessing the service. This is the first layer of restricting or blocking the user.
In case a user is using a proxy, he might be able to bypass the first layer of restriction and enter Hulu. However, once the user tries to play the video, Hulu’s server will block the access and the user will not be able to play the stream.
However, after VPN’s introduction, Hulu has brought in anti-VPN technology, and it is even more potent than Netflix’s firewall. For the same reason, we here in the blog have listed the best VPNs that work with Hulu. But before that, I have discussed the method you can use to watch Hulu in Canada or access Hulu in the UK.
How to Watch Hulu from Anywhere with a VPN [Video Tutorial]
5 Best Hulu VPNs that Works in 2021
Above this blog, we have mentioned a quick overview of VPNs that work the best with Hulu; here is a detailed analysis of the 5 best Hulu VPNs.
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN For Unblocking Hulu
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and most reliable VPNs that can unblock Hulu from anywhere. With 3000+ servers from 94 countries, including 20 American cities, it gives you access to your favorite Hulu shows. It also regularly refreshes its IP addresses to stop it from being blocked by Hulu’s anti-VPN technology.
The Servers of ExpressVPN are fast even when you connect from a faraway location. The speed is commendable, which is why it comes as one of the most chosen VPN for Hulu. According to the tests we have taken, there were no glitches or lags in Hulu’s streaming. Moreover, it offers 5 simultaneous connections, 24/7 customer service, and 30-day money-back guarantees to all its users. ExpressVPN is also a perfect Disney+ VPN as well as Netflix VPN.
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, smart TVs, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox
2. NordVPN – User-Friendly VPN For Watching Hulu
One of the most ideal Hulu VPNs is NordVPN. It offers a 1800+ server (More than any other provider) from the US. This brings no congestion slowdowns in streaming Hulu or any other streaming services. It offers smart play for fast unblocking.
Increased count of servers offers more IP addresses, so it becomes harder for Hulu to identify the use of a VPN. Moreover, with NordVPN, you can binge-watch Hulu shows with no lags or interruptions while streaming. It is because of the speed of servers offered by Nord.
24/7 customer support, 6 simultaneous connections, and 30 days money-back guarantee are other notable offerings by NordVPN.
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and smart T.V
3. SurfShark – Affordable VPN For Streaming Hulu
Another premium VPN service provider in 2021 is SurfShark. Surfshark has been seen as one of the VPNs that unblocks all the major streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, and Disney. With several optimized servers to access Hulu, Surfshark brings about 3200 servers from 60 countries, including approx. 500 servers from American countries. With these American servers, you can access Hulu from anywhere in the world.
All the servers offered by Surfshark have unlimited data and bandwidth. You can buy their 2-year plan for $2.49/mo only and get 3 months extra for free.
Moreover, Surfshark is the only VPN that offers unlimited multi-logins; thus, this is one of the elements that you don’t need to worry about when it comes to Surfshark. Also, it has 24/7 customer support to solve all your issues, and even if you don’t like their service, it has a 30 days money-back guarantee.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firefox, Chrome, and Linux
4. PureVPN – Reliable VPN for Watching Hulu
PureVPN offers great service to clients needing these services. With 6500+ servers from 140 countries, the speed of this VPN is commendable, and you can watch your favorite Hulu shows in HD.
PureVPN improves a lot when it comes to unblocking geo-streaming services like Hulu, Netflix and Disney+. This means you can access Netflix with PureVPN and will see amazing results. This provider offers 490+ American servers, to access Hulu from anywhere abroad. However, as per the tests we have conducted, the chrome extension of PureVPN works better than the apps. Thus, if you are comfortable with streaming Hulu on a browser, you can go with PureVPN. These are the reasons that PureVPN is considered to be one of the best Hulu VPN.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, Android Smart TV, Xbox One, and PS4.
5. CyberGhost – Reasonable VPN that Unblocks Hulu Anywhere
CyberGhost presents itself as a high-performing yet straightforward service provider in the VPN industry. Though the servers are less in numbers, they can be used to unblock streaming sites like Hulu. The speed of the servers offered by CyberGhost is commendable, and the speed is fast enough for the no-lag and uninterrupted streaming of Hulu.
It doesn’t compromise privacy or digital security. The company stores no logs of user activity nor IP address on its servers. It uses the same strong encryption that you’ll get with the veteran providers. Moreover, it has got fast speed, 24/7 support, and a user-friendly interface.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android
VPNs That Don’t Work with Hulu
As of October 2020, the following are the VPNs that don’t work with Hulu to watch it in Australia
- Hotspot Shield
- Cactus VPN
- PIA (Private Internet Access)
- Avast Secureline VPN
Can I use a Free VPN to Watch Hulu?
No, you cannot use a free VPN to watch Hulu because they do not have the capability to bypass geo-restrictions. Not only that, but they are also not reliable when it comes to security and anonymity. Free VPNs are known to leak DNS and IP addresses and they also record user activities. These are a few things why I do not recommend a free VPN to anyone.
Moreover, you will not get a suitable free VPN that has a good amount of servers and great bandwidth. For streaming, you need both the server’s speed and variety and if you are not getting that then the VPN is surely not optimal. For example, if you want to watch Hulu in Australia, you will have to try numerous times to bypass the Hulu restrictions with a free VPN. But, with a premium VPN, you can access Hulu within a minute.
Is it illegal to Stream Hulu with a VPN?
No, it is not illegal to stream Hulu with a VPN (on a general note). It actually depends on the region you are in and using a VPN. In most regions around the world, usage of VPNs is legal and there are no defined restrictions. So, the matter of legitimacy is subjective to the laws of every region.
Hulu Home Location Error
- At times even after getting everything right, you might see an error in accessing Hulu. This is usually what we call a Home Location Error. This occurs due to three main reasons that are listed here below:
- Connection to Mobile Hotspot: Mobile Hotspot could not set up home locations, and if you are using one, you will see the home location error. Thus, you need to set up your home location with a private, non-mobile network.
- Have recently moved: If you have recently moved, you need to update your home network. Hulu provides four home changes per year for its users to change their home location.
- You are not at Home: All the Hulu + Live TV subscriptions are intended for single household use. Thus, you will be needed to connect to your home location to stream on most devices. However, you can use a mobile device when you are on-the-go but ensure that you connect your mobile device at home once every 30 days.
How to Disable IPv6 When Using a Hulu VPN
Even when you are using a VPN, there is a possibility that you will get an error message stating to turn off your anonymous proxy. While masking IPv4 to hide your location, most of the VPNs sent IPv6 without hiding it. Here are the solutions that might work for you.
For Windows Users
- First, disconnect the VPN connection and close the app.
- Now press “Windows key + R” to open the Command Prompt.
- Now type “ncpa.cpl” and then press “Enter”. It will open your system’s network connections.
- Search for the internet connection you are using and right-click on it, and then select “Properties” options.
- On the Networking or General tab, uncheck the box that says “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”
- Click OK to save changes and close the Window
- Now open the Command Prompt (Admin) by pressing “Windows key + R” and enter “Yes.”
- Now in the Command Prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns” and press “Enter.”
- Open the VPN app, connect to the USA server, and open the Hulu website to start streaming your favorite shows abroad.
For Mac OSX Users
- Disconnect the VPN connection and close the app.
- Now click on the “Apple” logo that is located top left of the screen and then click on the “System Preferences” option.
- In the “System Preferences” option, go to Network > AirPort > Advanced > TCP/IP.
- Now open the “Configure IPv6” option and then select “Off.”
- Click “OK” and “Apply” to save the changes.
- Now open the ExpressVPN app and connect to the American server and start streaming Hulu from anywhere.
How can I pay for Hulu from in Australia?
Just like Disney Plus, you might need Paypal or an American credit card for a Hulu subscription. However, if you don’t have a US-based payment method, it might become a bit tricky to pay for a Hulu subscription.
Here are some ways of how you can pay for Hulu without a US-based payment method.
- EntroPay Service: It is like a virtual prepaid card that could set up a US PayPal account. After setting up the US PayPal account with the EntroPay Service virtual prepaid card, you can easily pay for a Hulu subscription.
- StatesPay: StatePay is an online service used to create a virtual credit card that can be used for payment of Hulu. However, you can use this service to pay for a Hulu subscription only for one month, and then you need to use Hulu gift cards to make further monthly payments.
Note: All these methods are working at the time of writing this blog, and it could be possible that policies and procedures might change in the future since Hulu is always trying to block users in Australia
Best Shows to Stream on Hulu in 2021
My favorite show on Hulu is Criminal Minds. Here is the list of top 10 shows to watch on Hulu in 2021:
- Fargo (3 seasons, 30 episodes | IMDb: 9/10)
- Atlanta (2 seasons, 21 episodes | IMDb: 6/10)
- Parks and Recreation (7 seasons, 123 episodes | IMDb: 6/10)
- 30 Rock (7 seasons, 138 episodes | IMDb: 2/10)
- The Handmaid’s Tale (3 seasons, 29 episodes | IMDb: 5/10)
- Seinfeld (9 seasons, 171 episodes | IMDb: 9/10)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (7 seasons, 144 episodes | IMDb: 2/10)
- Community (6 seasons, 110 episodes | IMDb: 5/10)
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (12 seasons, 133 episodes | IMDb: 8/10)
- The X-Files (11 seasons, 218 episodes | IMDb: 7/10)
Why isn't Hulu working with my VPN in Australia?
On what devices can I watch Hulu with a VPN in Australia?
Will using Hulu and VPN slow my connection?
Does a VPN let me watch Hulu for free in Australia?
How do I download Hulu the app in Australia?
- Open PlayStore and change your location to the USA
- Once you have changed your location, you will now find the Hulu app on PlayStore
- Download Hulu App and stream the best shows on Hulu.
For iOS Users
- Open a VPN and connect to a US server
- Create a new account in the US as it is preferable rather than changing the existing account location.
- Or, if you insist on changing an existing account to the US: On your device, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > View Apple ID > Country/Region > Change Country or Region
- Choose the US as your country
- For payment method, choose None (you will still need a US payment method to pay for Hulu).
- Agree to the terms and conditions
Can I stream Hulu from my Smart TV with a VPN?
How can I watch Hulu Japan in Australia?
Can you watch live sports on Hulu?
Why won't my Hulu let me log in?
I Can't Sign Up For Hulu. What are my next steps?
Does Hulu block VPNs?
How do I get a zip code to set up a Hulu account?
Hulu is a video-on-demand service that offers some great content to watch. However, the service only allows users from the US to access the platform. But with a premium VPN service provider, you can access Hulu from anywhere. In the article, we have mentioned the 5 best Hulu VPNs that you can use to access Hulu in Australia.