Hulu is a subscription-based video-on-demand service operated by The Walt Disney Company and the service is currently only available in the USA. Hulu’s content in every other region is geo-restricted, and thus only people from the USA can access Hulu.
Nevertheless, with a Hulu VPN, you can mask your IP address and fake your geographic location to access Hulu from anywhere.
I have handpicked the 5 best VPNs for Hulu alongside the guide of how to watch Hulu from anywhere with a premium VPN.
How Hulu Blocks Viewers From Outside US
Hulu is a service that only offers content to users from the USA and Japan. The concept of geo-restrictions is one of the significant factors in this limited content offering. Firstly, Hulu reads the geographic location of a user to restrict him from accessing the service. This is the first layer of restricting or blocking the user.
In case a user is using a proxy, he might be able to bypass the first layer of restriction and enter Hulu. However, once the user tries to play the video, Hulu’s server will block the access and the user will not be able to play the stream.
However, after VPN’s introduction, Hulu has brought in anti-VPN technology, and it is even more potent than Netflix’s firewall. For the same reason, we here in the blog have listed the best VPNs that work with Hulu.
How to Watch Hulu from Anywhere with a VPN [Video Tutorial]
Refer to this video for more help in order to watch Hulu with VPN:
5 Best Hulu VPNs that Works in 2021
Above this blog, we have mentioned a quick overview of VPNs that work the best with Hulu; here is a detailed analysis of the 5 best Hulu VPNs.
1. ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN to Watch Hulu
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN for watching Hulu content as it not only unblocks Hulu but has also proved to be the fastest in terms of streaming.
Does Hulu work with ExpressVPN? [Testing Video]
The Servers of ExpressVPN are fast even when you connect from a faraway location. The speed is commendable, which is why it comes as one of the most chosen VPN for Hulu. According to the tests we have taken, there were no glitches or lags in Hulu’s streaming.
It manages to offer a super-fast downloading speed of 91.04 Mbps and an upload speed of 54.46 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, smart TVs, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox
2. SurfShark – Budget-Frinedly VPN For Streaming Hulu
Surfshark is a well-priced and best VPN for watching Hulu as it charges only $2.49/mo on its 2-year plan and provides unlimited multi-logins.
Does Hulu work with Surfshark? [Testing Video]
It manages to offer a super-fast downloading speed of 75.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 38.01 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Surfshark has been seen as one of the VPNs that unblocks all the major streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, and Disney. With several optimized servers to access Hulu, Surfshark brings about 3200 servers from 60 countries, including approx. 500 servers from American countries.
With these American servers, you can access Hulu from anywhere in the world.
All the servers offered by Surfshark have unlimited data and bandwidth.
Moreover, Surfshark is the only VPN that offers unlimited multi-logins; thus, this is one of the elements that you don’t need to worry about when it comes to Surfshark. Also, it has 24/7 customer support to solve all your issues, and even if you don’t like their service, it has a 30 day money back guarantee.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firefox, Chrome, and Linux
2. NordVPN – Larget Server Network VPN For Watching Hulu
One of the most ideal Hulu VPNs is NordVPN. It offers a 1800+ server (More than any other provider) from the US. This brings no congestion slowdowns in streaming Hulu or any other streaming services. It offers smart play for fast unblocking.
Does Hulu work with NordVPN? [Testing Video]
It manages to offer a super-fast downloading speed of 88.45 Mbps and an upload speed of 46.42 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Increased count of servers offers more IP addresses, so it becomes harder for Hulu to identify the use of a VPN. Moreover, with NordVPN, you can binge-watch Hulu shows with no lags or interruptions while streaming. It is because of the speed of servers offered by Nord.
24/7 customer support, 6 simultaneous connections, and 30 day money back guarantee are other notable offerings by NordVPN.
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and smart T.V
4. CyberGhost -VPN with unique unblocking features
CyberGhost presents itself as a high-performing yet straightforward service provider in the VPN industry. Though the servers are less in numbers, they can be used to unblock streaming sites like Hulu. The speed of the servers offered by CyberGhost is commendable, and the speed is fast enough for the no-lag and uninterrupted streaming of Hulu.
Does Hulu work with CyberGhost? [Testing Video]
When tested on a US server it managed to offer a download speed of 85.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 42.18 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
It doesn’t compromise privacy or digital security. The company stores no logs of user activity nor IP addresses on its servers. It uses the same strong encryption that you’ll get with the veteran providers. Moreover, it has got fast speed, 24/7 support, and a user-friendly interface.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android
IPVanish – VPN with some Surprising Features to access Hulu
IPVanish is a US-based VPN that emphasizes speed, security, and privacy. It has over 1,300 servers (and counting) spread over more than 75 countries. All of its servers use the AES 256-bit encryption protocol, and no IP or DNS leaks are permitted.
It allows 10 simultaneous connections with the same account, and for all of this, it charges only $6.95 for a subscription.
On a 100 Mbps connection, this VPN managed to offer a download speed of 75.52 Mbps and an upload speed of 38.74 Mbps.
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, Android Smart TV, Xbox One, and PS4.Other popular streaming services can also be unblocked by this VPN.
VPNs That Don’t Work with Hulu
As of October 2020, the following are the VPNs that don’t work with Hulu to watch it outside the USA:
- Hotspot Shield
- Cactus VPN
- PIA (Private Internet Access)
- Avast Secureline VPN
Can I use a Free VPN to Watch Hulu?
No, you cannot use a free VPN for unblocking Hulu because they do not have the capability to bypass geo-restrictions. Not only that, but they are also not reliable when it comes to security and anonymity. Free VPNs are known to leak DNS and IP addresses and they also record user activities. These are a few things why I do not recommend a free VPN to anyone.
Moreover, you will not get a suitable free VPN that has a good amount of servers and great bandwidth. For streaming, you need both the server’s speed and variety and if you are not getting that then the VPN is surely not optimal.
Always, use a premium VPN to watch Hulu and other streaming services.
Is it illegal to Stream Hulu with a VPN?
No, it is not illegal to unblock Hulu with a VPN (on a general note). It actually depends on the region you are in and using a VPN. In most regions around the world, usage of VPNs is legal and there are no defined restrictions. So, the matter of legitimacy is subjective to the laws of every region.
How do I download Hulu the app from outside the US?
Hulu app is only available on US stores, so if you are a user from outside the US, you might not find the Hulu app on the app store. Here is the process of how you can download the Hulu app from outside the US and access videos.
For Android Users
For iOS Users
Hulu Home Location Error
- At times even after getting everything right, you might see an error in accessing Hulu. This is usually what we call a Home Location Error. This occurs due to three main reasons that are listed here below:
- Connection to Mobile Hotspot: Mobile Hotspot could not set up home locations, and if you are using one, you will see the home location error. Thus, you need to set up your home location with a private, non-mobile network.
- Have recently moved: If you have recently moved, you need to update your home network. Hulu provides four home changes per year for its users to change their home location.
- You are not at Home: All the Hulu + Live TV subscriptions are intended for single household use. Thus, you will be needed to connect to your home location to stream on most devices. However, you can use a mobile device when you are on-the-go but ensure that you connect your mobile device at home once every 30 days.
How to Disable IPv6 When Using a Hulu VPN
Even when you are using a VPN, there is a possibility that you will get an error message stating to turn off your anonymous proxy. While masking IPv4 to hide your location, most of the VPNs sent IPv6 without hiding it. Here are the solutions that might work for you.
For Windows Users
- First, disconnect the VPN connection and close the app.
- Now press “Windows key + R” to open the Command Prompt.
- Now type “ncpa.cpl” and then press “Enter”. It will open your system’s network connections.
- Search for the internet connection you are using and right-click on it, and then select “Properties” options.
- On the Networking or General tab, uncheck the box that says “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”
- Click OK to save changes and close the Window
- Now open the Command Prompt (Admin) by pressing “Windows key + R” and enter “Yes.”
- Now in the Command Prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns” and press “Enter.”
- Open the VPN app, connect to the USA server, and open the Hulu website to start streaming your favorite shows abroad.
For Mac OSX Users
- Disconnect the VPN connection and close the app.
- Now click on the “Apple” logo that is located top left of the screen and then click on the “System Preferences” option.
- In the “System Preferences” option, go to Network > AirPort > Advanced > TCP/IP.
- Now open the “Configure IPv6” option and then select “Off.”
- Click “OK” and “Apply” to save the changes.
- Now open the ExpressVPN app and connect to the American server and start streaming Hulu from anywhere.
How can I pay for Hulu from outside the US?
Just like Disney Plus, you might need Paypal or an American credit card for a Hulu subscription. However, if you don’t have a US-based payment method, it might become a bit tricky to pay for a Hulu subscription.
Here are some ways of how you can pay for Hulu without a US-based payment method.
- EntroPay Service: It is like a virtual prepaid card that could set up a US PayPal account. After setting up the US PayPal account with the EntroPay Service virtual prepaid card, you can easily pay for a Hulu subscription.
- StatesPay: StatePay is an online service used to create a virtual credit card that can be used for payment of Hulu. However, you can use this service to pay for a Hulu subscription only for one month, and then you need to use Hulu gift cards to make further monthly payments.
Note: All these methods are working at the time of writing this blog, and it could be possible that policies and procedures might change in the future since Hulu is always trying to block users from outside the USA.
On what devices can I watch Hulu?
Hulu can be watched on almost all devices, including
- Apple TV
However, it is also dependent on the device compatibility of your VPN service provider.
Best Shows to Stream on Hulu in 2021
My favorite show on Hulu is Criminal Minds. Here is the list of top 10 shows to watch on Hulu in 2021:
- Fargo (3 seasons, 30 episodes | IMDb: 9/10)
- Atlanta (2 seasons, 21 episodes | IMDb: 6/10)
- Parks and Recreation (7 seasons, 123 episodes | IMDb: 6/10)
- 30 Rock (7 seasons, 138 episodes | IMDb: 2/10)
- The Handmaid’s Tale (3 seasons, 29 episodes | IMDb: 5/10)
- Seinfeld (9 seasons, 171 episodes | IMDb: 9/10)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (7 seasons, 144 episodes | IMDb: 2/10)
- Community (6 seasons, 110 episodes | IMDb: 5/10)
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (12 seasons, 133 episodes | IMDb: 8/10)
- The X-Files (11 seasons, 218 episodes | IMDb: 7/10)
5 tips to Fix if VPN is Not Working with Hulu
Following are the 5 tips that will help you to fix if Hulu VPN not working or Hulu Proxy error:
1. Preliminary checks
If Hulu detects VPN, the first thing you should do is contact your VPN’s technical support to figure out what’s going on. After you’ve had a chance to speak with them, you can move on to the next stage.
2. Check your IP address
Checking what IP address you’re connecting to is always a smart practice. You must determine which city or area your current IP address belongs to. You will not be connected to your VPN if your required region is quite close to your actual location, therefore you can try reconnecting to the service.
3. Flush the DNS
Some nations would purposely obfuscate your ISP’s DNS records to prevent you from accessing geo-restricted sites like Hulu. In this case, you’ll need to erase your DNS cache so that your computer can connect to your VPN’s proper DNS settings.
4. Manually configure DNS and proxy settings
You may need to manually connect to your VPN’s DNS and proxy settings if your computer does not automatically connect to them. To do this task, most VPNs will include an online guide or lesson, or you may contact your VPN’s customer care and have them walk you through it.
5. Change your VPN
If your VPN isn’t functioning with Hulu, the last option is to switch VPNs totally. This is something we’d only do as a last resort, especially if you’ve already paid for a VPN service. Some VPNs provide money-back guarantees, so make sure to see if your existing VPN offers something comparable.
When switching VPNs, make sure to sign up for a free trial or a money-back guarantee so you can test out their service with Hulu before committing to their prices.
Why isn't Hulu working with my VPN?
Will using Hulu and VPN slow my connection?
Does a VPN let me watch Hulu for free?
Can I stream Hulu from my Smart TV with a VPN?
How can I watch Hulu Japan?
Can you watch live sports on Hulu?
Why won't my Hulu let me log in?
I Can't Sign Up For Hulu. What are my next steps?
Does Hulu block VPNs?
How do I get a zip code to set up a Hulu account?
How do I get a zip code to set up a Hulu account?
How much streaming market does Hulu have?
Can I sign up to Hulu without US credit card?
Can I use Hulu in two location?
How many time can I change Hulu location?
Does Hulu work with ExpressVPN?
Hulu is a video-on-demand service that offers some great content to watch. However, the service only allows users from the US to access the platform. But with a premium VPN service provider, you can access Hulu from anywhere.
In the article, we have mentioned the 5 best Hulu VPNs that you can use to access Hulu from outside the US.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?