You’ll need a VPN to get American Netflix in Canada as every country’s Netflix library is exclusively available to itself only. Our easy guide covers the four easy steps to unblock the US Netflix library in Canada.
The American Netflix library is the most popular library out of all Netflix libraries. The Canadian Netflix library comes two places below it with 5700+ content titles, whereas the US Netflix library has around 6000+ content titles.
The difference is not huge, but you might be missing out on some great content titles like American Horror Story, Supernatural, The originals, Twin Peak, etc.
How to get American Netflix in Canada [Explained With Video Tutorial]
For better understanding watch How to Unblock Netflix with a VPN:
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch American Netflix in Canada?
If you try to stream it where it is not available you will see the following error:
You seem to be using an unblocked or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help visit netflix.com/proxy.
You need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access the American Netflix library in Canada because many American OTT services are geo-restricted and are inaccessible in Canada. You cannot, for example, directly Watch BBC iPlayer in Canada and access similar geo-restricted platforms without a VPN.
Netflix has a restriction on every library, so you cannot access American Netflix in Canada. However, with a reliable VPN, you can connect to a US server and access American Netflix in Canada.
A VPN will mask your original IP and DNS and assign you a new DNS and IP address. This way, Netflix will not detect your actual IP and will treat you as a visitor from the US region.
Best VPNs to get American Netflix in Canada in 2021 (Comprehensive Guide)
Following are the three best VPNs to get the American Netflix in Canada:
1. ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN to Watch American Netflix in Canada
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN to watch American Netflix as it not only unblocks Netflix but also proved to be the fastest in terms of speed.
In the speed tests we conducted, it managed to offer a super-fast download speed of 93.42 Mbps and upload speed of 56.67 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
It is clearly a giant in the industry, rightfully popular because of its amazing speed and security features, and its larger network of 3000+ servers in 94 countries. It supports torrent files and also offers five simultaneous logins so that you can share them with your friends and family.
ExpressVPN works the best with Netflix because it provides instant connectivity and great bandwidth speed with its servers, which allows users to stream seamlessly. You can use ExpressVPN to unblock Harry Potter on Netflix due to its fast servers.
ExpressVPN offers an exclusive 12 months + 3 months free deal in which you will get their service for free for three months straight so that you’ll have to pay just $6.67/mo when subscribing to their special package. You can use a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN to also unblock Vudu in Canada, and you can get Hulu in Canada and also you can stream ESPN Plus in Canada by connecting to its US servers.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to get American Netflix in Canada
Surfshark is an affordable VPN option for streaming American Netflix. Hence, Surfshark provides a 2-year package for $2.49/mo only, which is very reasonable. It also allows multi-logins. Surfshark is popular in the streaming industry thanks to its high-speed servers. It has over 3200 servers in 65 countries, and total US servers of 500+. Surfshark works well with Netflix and offers all of the essential safety features that a premium VPN should have.
Surfshark offers all of the essential safety features that a premium VPN should have for accessing Netflix. Surfshark can also let you watch YouTube TV in Canada by connecting to its Canadian servers.
It manages to offer a fast downloading speed of 79.47 Mbps and an upload speed of 39.42 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network to unblock American Netflix in Canada
NordVPN is one of the fastest VPN providers and it also has many servers for unblocking American Netflix. It has over 5400 servers in 59 countries and total US servers of 1,970+ in 15+ Cities, and all of its servers encrypt traffic with AES 256 bit encryption. NordVPN unblocks Netflix and is a favorable VPN option because it does not leak IP or DNS and bypasses the Netflix firewall easily.
NordVPN charges $3.30/mo (VPN Awareness Month - 2 year plan at 72% off + 3 months FREE) for its 2-year package and provides high-end features. It has a special feature for instantly unblocking popular sites, especially US Netflix.
It manages to offer a fast downloading speed of 85.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 42.18 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Can I use a Free VPN to get American Netflix in Canada?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to unblock American Netflix in Canada. However, the use of free VPNs is not suggested since they lack the technology of unblocking Netflix, only a few of them work well.
Moreover, free VPNs are unreliable, and most of them give a “proxy/VPN detected” error. Even if a free VPN works, it will get blocked by Netflix after some time. Lastly, free VPNs are slow and are infamous for selling the users’ information to third parties.
Criteria to Choose the Best VPN to Watch American Netflix in Canada
- Reliability and Security: Opt for a provider that can bypass geo-restrictions without any DNS or IP leaks and should have AES 256 bit encryption to ensure robust security.
- Ability to Bypass Geo-restrictions: The VPN providers should be able to unblock Netflix (Best Netflix VPNs), Disney Plus (Best VPNs for Disney+), Hulu (Best VPNs for Hulu), etc. Every VPN provider claims to unblock these services, but the times have changed, and these platforms have smart proxies and VPN blockers. This is why unblocking these services is not everyone’s cup of tea.
- Server Network: It should have a large variety of high-speed servers so that you can enjoy streaming seamlessly without any bandwidth drops.
- Support for Multiple Devices and Platforms: It should support all the major OS and devices used for streaming like Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, iOS, Firestick and FireTV, Roku, and Routers.
- Reasonable Pricing: It is a major factor to keep in mind because nobody likes to throw away their precious pennies. The VPN provider you opt for should be reasonably priced.
- Multi-Logins: The phrase “sharing is caring” is taken really seriously among binge-watchers as they share their streaming accounts, and so you might want to share yours too with your friends and family. This is why having a good number of multi-logins is essential.
Other Alternatives to Watch American Netflix in Canada
The most popular method to watch American Netflix is to use a reliable VPN with US servers. However, there are a few more methods that can help you in accessing US Netflix in Canada. If you want to know the methods see below:
Access American Netflix in Canada using a DNS
You can access American Netflix in Canada using a DNS server. A Domain Name System is used by all devices to route the traffic between the clients and the servers on a network. You can change your data route to that of another country using a DNS or SmartDNS proxy.
DNS proxies work like VPN, but they do not encrypt your traffic, so they aren’t a reliable option for accessing US Netflix in Canada. Although this method does not always work, there are a few SmartDNS services that may provide you a DNS address that may change your Netflix region.
Follow the steps below once you find such a DNS address:
- Get US DNS server addresses from your provider.
- Go to the Network Settings on your device.
- Click on “Custom and Manual” and enter your DNS server addresses.
- To activate the DNS settings, restart your network connection.
- Open Netflix and enjoy streaming American content in Canada.
Use a Browser Extension for US Netflix in Canada
Another way of unblocking American Netflix in Canada is to get an extension for your browser. VPNs like ExpressVPN offer a browser add-on that lets you connect to the US servers to access US Netflix in Canada. Follow the steps below to get a browser extension.
- Install the ExpressVPN extension for your browser.
- Connect to a US server.
- Enjoy streaming American Netflix in Canada.
Set up a VPN on Router for watching American Netflix in Canada
If you wish to watch US Netflix on a Smart TV in Canada or on a device on which you cannot install a VPN directly, then you will have to use this method.
Installing a VPN on your wi-fi router will secure your connection overall and you will be able to stream American Netflix on any device that is connected to that network.
I recommend ExpressVPN for this purpose because it works amazingly when configured on a router. You can visit the ExpressVPN Router Installation guide to select your model and see the procedure for VPN installation.
On Which Devices Can I watch US Netflix in Canada?
You can watch the American Netflix in Canada on the following devices:
- Apple TV
- Firestick / FireTV
- PlayStation 3
- Smart TVs
- Wii and Wii U
- Xbox 360
How to Change Netflix Region on iPhone & iPad
- Navigate to the App Store.
- In the search box, type VPN Master.
- In the search results, select VPN Master.
- Select GET.
- Select INSTALL.
- Launch the VPN Proxy application.
- Allow should be selected.
- Restart VPN Proxy.
- Select the Fastest Server. Instead, you could see the name of a nation.
- Choose a country.
- Open the Netflix app, and you can start binge-watching your favorites.
How to Change Netflix Region on Android phone
- Download the VPN app of your choice from the Google Play Store.
- Log in to your newly created VPN account.
- Select the country to which you want to connect.
- Launch the Netflix app.
What’s on American Netflix that’s not on Canadian Netflix?
The following list of popular content titles is available on American Netflix, but you won’t find them in the Canadian Netflix library.
- 30 Rock
- American Horror Story
- Battlestar Galactica
- Burn Notice
- Deadliest Catch
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- Grey’s Anatomy
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- New Girl
- Parks and Recreation
- Rescue Me
- Sons of Anarchy
- That 70s Show
- The Office (U.S.)
List of Movies Exclusive to American Netflix
The following list of movies is exclusively available on the American Netflix library:
- Cool Hand Luke
- Enter the Dragon
- Gimme Shelter
- Good Hair
- Little Nicky
- London Heist
- Money Talks
- Mystic Pizza
- Playing for Keeps
- Radium Girls
- Runaway Bride
- Rust Creek
- The Blair Witch Project
- The Con Is On
- What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
List of TV Shows Exclusive to American Netflix
The following list of TV shows is exclusively available on the American Netflix library:
- America’s Next Top Model
- Are You the One?
- Happy Valley
- Ink Master
- Love Daily
- Manhunt: Deadly Games
- My Dead Ex
- Stargate SG-1
- The Bachelorette
- The Challenge
- The Frankenstein Chronicles
- The Haunted Hathaways
- The Unsettling
- Total Drama
- Zac and Mia
Which Country has better Netflix – US or Canada?
American Netflix is better than Canadian Netflix due to its content availability. The American Netflix library is the largest Netflix library, with over 6000+ content titles.
Even though the Canadian Netflix library is the third-largest Netflix library globally, you’d still be missing on 300+ content titles.
Users worldwide fill this gap by taking the help of a reliable VPN to access the shows and movies that aren’t accessible in Canada.
Netflix Canada vs USA Price Comparison
The price comparison of Netflix USA and Netflix Canada is given in the table below:
* Prices are given in Canadian Dollars (CAD)
From the comparison table above, we can see that Netflix in the USA is more expensive than Netflix in Canada.
Why is US Netflix Content Not Available in Canada?
Can I watch American Netflix in Canada in 2021?
Is it illegal to watch American Netflix in Canada?
Can I watch Netflix for free?
Follow the steps:
- Visit Netflix’s website or download their app.
- In the tab in the center of the page, enter your email address.
- Click on the Try 30 Days Free button.
- Continue by clicking the Continue button.
- Make a Netflix password.
- Continue by clicking the button.
- Select the See the Plans option.
- Choose the best plan for you.
- Continue by clicking the button.
- Fill in your payment information.
- Select the Start Membership option.
How do you change Canadian Netflix to American?
- If you haven’t already, create a Netflix account.
- Then, from the list below, install, and log in to a VPN.
- Connect to a VPN server in the country of your choice.
- Navigate to the Netflix website…
- Sign in and enjoy!
Can I use the same account to watch US Netflix in Canada?
Can I return to Canadian Netflix?
Will my Canadian Netflix account be banned if I use a VPN?
Why does Netflix block regions?
Can I Watch American Netflix in Canada Without a VPN?
How do I get American Netflix on my Smart TV in Canada?
You can get American Netflix on your Smart TV in Canada with the following methods:
1) Using a VPN router.
2) Smart DNS Service.
3) By sharing a windows connection with your Smart TV.
After reading this guide, you must be acknowledged that how to get American Netflix in Canada. So go ahead and enjoy your favorite shows and movies! ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation to unblock the US Netflix library since it is incredibly reliable, fast, and secure.