Using Apple TV with a VPN can unblock any region’s Apple TV+ library for you, so you may enjoy downloading all of your favorite songs, albums, movies, podcasts, and TV shows. Apple TV+ library varies from region to region, and some of the content titles available in one country won’t be available in the other.
We have made a list of the 3 best VPNs for Apple TV, along with their features and pricing, and we have also given the easy steps to set up a VPN on an Apple TV in our guide. Keep reading this guide to know more about using a premium VPN on an Apple TV.
How to choose the best Apple TV VPN?
VPNs are not all the same, even though they may all claim to be excellent. Many streaming services are smart enough to block VPNs every now and then, and many VPNs are unable to bypass these restrictions.
When selecting a VPN, always look for the following features:
- It should be capable of unblocking a variety of websites.
- VPN must be fast in terms of connectivity and streaming speed.
- It must have a wide range of servers spread around the globe.
ExpressVPN is our top recommendation since it includes all of these capabilities and has an easy-to-use interface.
3 Best VPNs for Apple TV
We have shortlisted the following three best VPNs for Apple TV based on their speed, performance, number of servers, security, and reliability:
Best VPN for Apple TV in Australia
See the list below for the best Apple TV VPNs:
ExpressVPN – Recommended VPN for Apple TV in Australia
After testing 20+ VPNs, we recommend ExpressVPN for accessing Apple TV as it not only unblocks Apple TV but has also proved to be the fastest in terms of speeding.
In the speed tests we conducted, it managed to offer a download speed of 91.04 Mbps and an upload speed of 54.46 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
It comes with multiple features including 256-bit encryption, no-log policy, and kill switch. Through this VPN it is safe to access Apple TV. Moreover, it provides 24/7 customer service support. It has around 3000+ ultra-fast servers in over 90 countries.
ExpressVPN is lightning fast, durable. You can avail its 1-year package for $6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan) with a 30-days money-back guarantee.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN for Apple TV in Australia
SurfShark is an affordable VPN for Apple TV. It costs only [get_price id=”2525″] and offers unlimited multi-logins.
Furthermore, it provides more than 3000+ servers in over 65 different locations. It is one of the safest VPNs with a kill switch and AES-256 bit encryption to stream without any ad distraction while watching your favorite video content.
SurfShark gives a high-quality streaming experience on Prime. It bypasses geo-restrictions by providing Private DNS on each server. Moreover, it offers limitless connections on one account so users can easily access Apple TV on multiple devices at once.
It provides 24/7 live customer support in case of any technical issue. Furthermore, This VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee in case users don’t like the service.
It offers a download speed of 75.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 38.01 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
3. NordVPN – Largest Server Network for Apple TV in Australia
NordVPN is one of the most trusted VPNs on our list for unblocking services on Apple TV. It offers over 5500 servers in 140+ different countries.
NordVPN’s servers are well optimized and capable to bypass geo-restriction imposed by any streaming service. Moreover, it can unblock all the major platforms including Prime It offers six simultaneous connections on one subscription.
NordVPN comes with an AES-256 bit encryption feature so users can perform online activities absolutely safe, and securely. Furthermore, it provides 24/7 live customer support to answer all your technical queries. It allows six simultaneous connections and will cost you only $3.71/mo (Save 68% on 2 Years Deal) on its 2-year plan.
It offers a great download speed of 88.45 Mbps and an upload speed of 46.42 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection.
Why do you need a VPN for Apple TV
You need a VPN for Apple TV if you want to access any other region’s library. There are multiple movies, TV shows, music videos, and podcasts that are only available in certain regions and can be accessed by the people living in those regions. If you wish to access a region-specific library, you will need a reliable VPN to access your favorite content titles from any region.
A VPN helps you in spoofing your location and gives you a masked identity. If you use a reliable and robust VPN, then the host servers won’t detect your actual location, and you can fake your region easily. You can easily watch Disney Plus on Apple TV with the help of a VPN.
How to set up a VPN on Apple TV
You cannot install a VPN application directly on Apple TV because it does not support it. Therefore, the best way to use a VPN on your Apple TV is by installing a VPN on the router and using it on your TV. Follow the steps below to install a VPN on a router:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install its application on your device.
- Log in with your credentials and click Set Up on More Devices.
- From the list of devices, select Router and then select the router model you are using.
- Download the firmware for your router.
- Now connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable.
- Unplug the internet wire from your router to disconnect your router from the internet.
- Now access your router’s setting by entering the gateway in the address bar.
- Go to the local access section.
- Sign-in to your admin panel.
- Now, go to Router Settings and select Connectivity.
- Select Choose File and open the firmware of your VPN that you downloaded.
- Now, click Start and wait for the restart message to prompt on your screen.
- Restart your router by clicking Yes.
- Simply enter admin as both the username and password.
- Now plug your internet cable back into the router.
- Sign in to your VPN account, and then your internet connection will be secured, and all the devices that connect to it will be having VPN access by default.
How to set up Smart DNS on Apple TV
You can also use SmartDNS on your Apple TV to access any region’s library. Follow the easy steps below:
- Visit ExpressVPN’s DNS settings page.
- Select Register my IP address and enable the toggle bar.
- Get your MediaStreamer DNS IP address from ExpressVPN’s setup page.
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Go to Network and select your connected network.
- Select Configure DNS and then select Manual.
- Now, enter your MediaStreamer DNS address and select done.
- Restart your Apple TV and enjoy accessing any region’s library.
How to set up Smart DNS on older versions of Apple TV
Older versions of Apple TV do not support a VPN and setting up a Smart DNS proxy on 3rd generation, or older versions are quite different than the newer ones. Follow the steps below to set up a smart DNS proxy on your old Apple TV:
- Turn on your Apple TV and go to settings.
- Select General and then Network.
- Choose your current network interface from Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Select Configure DNS and then Manual.
- Enter your ExpressVPN MediaStreamer’s DNS address and then select Done.
- Restart your Apple TV and then access any region’s library.
What is the best VPN for Apple TV?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Apple TV because of its unmatched security and reliability. It is available in 94 countries and has more than 3000 servers. Moreover, it does not affect your internet speed as well. All of these factors combined make ExpressVPN the best VPN for Apple TV.
Can you use a VPN with Apple TV?
No, Apple TV does not directly support a VPN. However, you can install the VPN on the router that your TV is connected to and enjoy the benefits of VPN. We have shared the simple steps to do this in our guide.
How do I activate VPN on Apple TV?
You can activate VPN on your Apple TV by following the easy steps we have provided in our guide and enjoy the perks of VPN by downloading any region’s content.
Why are there no VPN apps for Apple TV?
There are no VPN apps for Apple TV as it does not allow their installation. However, you can have all the benefits of a VPN by using a Smart DNS proxy. We have listed the easy steps in our guide that you may go through and enjoy accessing different region’s content.
Although there are tens of VPNs available in the market, we have shortlisted the top three best VPNs that can help you access the libraries of different regions on your Apple TV. After testing all the features, we have concluded that for Apple TV VPN like ExpressVPN is the #1.